The United Way of Greater Waterbury
Chief Development Officer
United Way of Greater Waterbury (UWGW) brings people and organizations together to create solutions to Greater Waterbury’s most pressing challenges in the areas of Education, Basic Needs and Financial Stability, tackling issues that cannot be solved by any one group working alone. By focusing on meeting immediate needs and creating long-term solutions, we help people live their best possible lives. Our workplace is fast-paced, progressive, innovative, friendly, and adaptive. At UWGW we believe in setting ambitious goals, celebrating success, and learning from failure. Our wages are competitive, the benefits package is comprehensive, and we offer flexible schedules and professional development opportunities.
The Chief Development Officer provides executive leadership, strategy development, planning, execution and accountability for UWGW’s revenue generation and donor relations activities. Success requires a commitment to high functioning partnerships with all areas of the organization including community impact, finance, marketing, and volunteer engagement. The incumbent must exhibit a professional presence and encourage collaboration at all levels of the organization.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to being data driven in developing and executing strategies, with clear metrics and measurements identified. The Chief Development Officer must also have the presence, the depth and breadth of experience, and credibility to represent UWGW in the corporate, foundation, and high net-worth sectors.
UWGW has been in business for over 78 years which offers an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional to help shape fundraising efforts now and in the future.
Reporting Structure: Reports to President/CPO.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
The Chief Development Officer is responsible for the executive leadership of UWGW’s revenue generation work, which includes:
- Develop and lead the refinement and implementation of an ambitious fundraising strategy and annual plans for workplace campaigns, leadership giving, major gifts, corporate sponsorship, special events, and planned giving.
- Develop and manage strategies to ensure that all donors are experiencing world-class service and stewardship.
- Cultivate and steward financial support, with a particular focus on maintaining and growing a portfolio of major donors.
- Partner closely volunteers and key stakeholders and donors to develop and support their fundraising potential.
- Leverage the CEO and other influential stakeholders to create and maintain key external relationships.
- Provide professional support and leadership for various volunteer committees that support the UWGW development effort.
- Create initiatives to expand UWGW’s prospect pipeline by accessing new and leveraging existing networks.
- Provide strong direction and management to the development team, including the effective and thoughtful managing of systems, processes, and measurement to monitor, project and guide fundraising strategy, results and activity.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field both inside and outside the UWGW network.
- Lead, direct and supervise assigned staff to create a motivated, high performing team that can reach the strategic goals and objectives of UWGW.
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable field required (Master’s preferred).
- 10+ years of progressive experience in fund development, including demonstrated success in leadership/major giving. Experience in a structured nonprofit development setting is preferred.
- Knowledge of the local philanthropic community.
- Thorough knowledge of development principles and practices; demonstrated experience with a moves management model, gift tracking/processing, technology-based fundraising strategies, direct mail programs, donor relations and data management.
- Demonstrated success in leading major fundraising initiatives
- Ability to work with diverse staff and volunteers.
- Proven ability to direct, lead, coach and mentor a team in achieving organizational goals.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to balance and prioritize multiple tasks in order to meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and a clear, 'on-target' writing style.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain positive and engaging relationships.
- Experience utilizing a development relationship management database and wealth screening tools.
- Proficient with Google and MS Office.
- Willingness and ability to learn new software applications to support development work.
- Proactive and strategic thinker with the ability to work both individually and collaboratively.
- Strong commitment to maintaining integrity and confidentiality of donor information.
- Creative, result-oriented, self-starter, willing to learn, and able to manage an aggressive schedule, working beyond the regular work week, as needed.
- Valid driver's license and reliable transportation required.
- Must be able to lift 25-50 lbs.
Ideally, the successful candidate will be:
- Personally committed to advancing UWGW’s values, mission, goals and programs.
- A flexible, reliable, creative, outgoing and energetic individual who can handle and prioritize multiple activities and responsibilities. A self-starter and reliable finisher.
- A superior communicator who shares information readily and concisely. An individual who listens as well as s/he gives advice.
- An entrepreneurial spirit who enjoys meeting new people, deepening relationships and undertaking new initiatives.
- A team player who inspires collaboration and functions decisively.
- Emotionally mature and self-confident, with a sense of humor in order to maintain balance and perspective.
Interested candidates should submit a detailed letter of interest, resume, writing sample and contact information for three references to [email protected] No phone calls, please. All applications are treated confidentially. The position will remain open until filled.
**United Way of Greater Waterbury is an equal opportunity employer.**